On Sunday 21 March 2004 13:22, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> Like you Anne, I was reluctant to install 10.0 what with having
> spent weeks to get 9.2 running well. But surprise : yesterday I
> shuffled the CD2 into the cupholder and lo and behold, one hour
> later 10.0 CE runs like a charm. Not only that, it runs about 30 %
> faster, especially KDE. And, for the first time, I took the option
> of installing the updates right away, during the initial install.
> Everything worked well. Only minor glitches (so far) :

It's hard to guess whether my best bet is to stick to 9.2 and try to
get it running, or start on 10.  My main constraint on that box is
that I have had an offer I can't refuse.  A member of the wylug has
offered me the loan of his video capture card to see whether it fills
my need - it's £129 to buy, so it will be nice to try it first.  He
is bringing it to the next meeting.  By that time I want a stable
install.  If I have to go back to 9.1 I'll do that, leaving a bare
partition to install 10 later.

> Now my printer (HP 3820) performs some (noisy) drills during the
> boot process - but after a while it works.
>
> I had a /data partition (hda4) on 9.2, but 10.0 insisted to mount
> it as /mnt/windows (it is a FAT32 partition), but I don't like to
> see that word on my otherwise clean machine. So I had to edit fstab
> in order to get things straight.

Minor issues, I agree.  The frustrating thing about this 9.2 install
is that it has lost the things that were working.  I had network
printing working to this box, but it didn't work yesterday.  I know
that the lack of time over the past month has contributed to my
problems, but it is most frustrating.  You think that once something
is fixed it will stay fixed.

> I'm a little confused about the "Mandrake Update". Seems that the
> normal update repositories are gone and all updates are on the same
> directory, just with higher version numbers. Haven't browsed that
> many mirrors, though.

- From what is being said on the expert list, it sounds as though 10
gets its updates from cooker.

> Although I'm a Club Silver Member, I haven't been able to get my
> hands on Acrobat Reader or RealPlayer, but I can live with that.

I'd really miss AR.  I like it for its print options.

> All in all : what a nice experience !

Sounds encouraging - but then we are back to what performs really well
on one box is hopeless on another.  I'm not a gambler, but it looks
as though gambling is inevitable for now.

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302