> Wow! Someone who seems to have seen this before! I have a Jaton
> Video-87AGP which is a Trident 3D Image 975 chip. Supported, by
> all accounts, by the X Server.

Ooh, I'm sorry.  I've had all sorts of problems with Trident chipsets.
I stay very far away from them now.  Also, everybody (well, almost) I
talk to says every Trident card they've worked with has been horrible.
Not a very good reputation.

> I have scrolled through the resoulutions using ctl-alt-[num+/num-]
> to no avail.

That should go through different screen sizes (i.e. 640x480, 800x600),
but not change your color depth.  If you find that one of these
resolutions will work for you while a different screen size doesn't (at
the same color depth) then you'd do good to move that resolution to the
front of the line in XF86Config and delete the ones that don't work.

I'd suggest just playing around with it.  Set up several different
resolutions under different color depths.  `startx -- -bpp 16` I think
will start X in 16-bit color.  You'll have to exit and run `startx --
bpp 24` to use 24-bit color.  Anyway, just run through a bunch of
resolutions in several color depths and see what works and what doesn't.

On the other hand, the second of Pablo's links looked pretty good.  I
didn't go through it too much- I don't have one of these cards.  I'd
guess, though, that it'll work pretty well for you.

--
     -Matt Stegman
     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>