On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 00:54, Steve Turner wrote:
> You are 100% right and that is where all the problems occurs in getting it
> all setup and making changes after setup.
>
> STEVEN TURNER

I've done linux setups for a number of my clients - for home usage.
Mostly for surfing, word processing, printing, CD burning, MP3 and DVD
ripping - the gist of them are a bit older and only want that
functionality, but it's basically the same - they want it to work and
that's that - they don't want to install stuff and if they do, well, RPM
is quite easy to deal with. I make sure they're setup fully and
everything hums along the way it's supposed to. Give them some minor
hands on training, and off they go. I do almost cut my throat, though,
because I don't see them again for support issues. I do answer their
questions via email, but mostly, their done. They don't complain, they
love the stability.

But once again, it's already been setup and configured and sorted out
before they get the machine home - so yeah, they don't have the
headaches of fighting devices or what-have-you - they just use it.

If systems were "packaged" like that - almost like what you see from the
department stores - with a scanner and printer and speakers and the
likes, well, the "home" linux desktop would be seriously making waves -
but that's to come.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
The best you get is an even break. -- Franklin Adams