Erylon Hines wrote:
On Saturday 17 April 2004 11:36 am, Guy Rouillier wrote:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:21:36 +0200

Kaj Haulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Saturday 17 April 2004 19:47, Guy Rouillier wrote:

<snip>

So when you blather on about winsux and winblows, try to explain
why for desktop users everything just seems to work in Windows,
while Linux continues to be a challenge.

</snip>

.....such as viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, phone-home....?

Admitted, but that doesn't have anything to do with usability, consistency and device support, right? And don't get too comfortable, as soon as Linux gets enough penetration in the desktop market (which I definitely think it will - think of 1.3 billion users in China), the evil-doers will turn their attention on it. They've pretty much ignored it for now since they get so much more bang for the buck from Windows.

I work with some Unix/Linux diehards.  When I asked one for help with my
digital camera under LInux, he sheepishly admitted that he uses Windows
at home, simply because of device support.

If you had chosen your camera with the intent to use it with Linux, that wouldn't be an issue, now would it? Because I run Linux, I have to think ahead and choose my hardware carefully, and then my hardware works.
And I don't care if the bad guys turn their attention to Linux. What you don't seem to understand is that the system architecture is different. Someone's script can't run on my machine without my jumping through very specific hoops to allow it to do so (unless I run as root--in which case Darwinian theory comes into play). The evil-doers have ignored Linux because they can't figure a way to get me to su to a terminal and chmod +x the toy that they've created, and then ./etc. etc.

If Linux becomes a dominant force in the desktop market, then there's going to be some idiots running as root the whole time. Given that even the worst virus outbreaks only involve a fraction of one percent of windows machines being infected, it would be possible for something serious to happen as a result of these few ignorant root users.

Plus - it's obvious that better and easier software installation is needed for Linux to become more newbie-friendly. And that will also make it easier for malicious scripts to be run.