Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:

On windoze 2k (forced to use it by my employer), I installed mozilla, then later netscape (can't remember why I needed netscape). Netscape stomped all over my mozilla settings. Trashed my bookmarks and everything (it grabbed the existing profile without asking me). I was quite upset. Don't know if this is related to your problem, but netscape does not cooperate well with mozilla on the same machine.

Haven't tested them both on Windows yet. What is suggested by setup manuals is that Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla should NOT share users' profiles. But I think that is true only when you try to activate both of software in the very same time (i.e. the other while the first is running). Seems that the first program started somehow 'lock' the profile and the other program reports that a specific profile can't be used. I find that resonable and, btw there's no logic to handle incoming email with two mailers in the same time, is it?

The other problem might be with the OS. In fact, either Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla 1.6 use different folder paths to be installed under Linux (per default), so if you follow those paths there is low chance to screw up things. In the same time, user's profile(s) shouldn't be changed because they're located in *separate* user's homes. So I don't see reasons something like that to be a problem.

Maybe, on Windows installations they *share* a part of 'Program Files' path and that could be a problem.

Misko

  • ... Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr - Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems
    • ... Miroslav Skoric
      • ... Paul Smith
        • ... JoeHill
          • ... Miroslav Skoric
            • ... JoeHill
              • ... Miroslav Skoric
            • ... Miroslav Skoric
        • ... Miroslav Skoric
          • ... Ron Hunter-Duvar
            • ... Miroslav Skoric
          • ... JoeHill
          • ... Paul Smith
        • ... Miroslav Skoric
          • ... Stephen Kuhn
            • ... JoeHill
            • ... Miroslav Skoric
              • ... Stephen Kuhn
      • ... Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems