"Contorer wrote that end users stuck with Windows, despite the operating
system's shortcomings, based on the high costs of abandoning heavy investments
already made in APIs.

"'The Windows API is so broad, so deep and so functional that most ISVs
(independent software vendors) would be crazy not to use it. And it is so deeply
embedded in the source code of many Windows apps that there is a huge switching
cost to using a different operating system, instead,' the e-mail reads.

"'It is this switching cost that has given the customers the patience to stick
with Windows through all our mistakes, our buggy drivers, our high TCO (total
cost of ownership), our lack of a sexy vision, at times, and many other
difficulties,' the e-mail said. 'Customers constantly evaluate other desktop
platforms, (but) it would be so much work to move over that they hope we just
improve Windows rather than force them to move.'

Link:

JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046
Homepage: www.orderinchaos.org
"In this possibly terminal phase of human existence, democracy and freedom are
more than just ideals to be valued - they may be essential to survival...." --
Noam Chomsky