On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 12:10, JoeHill wrote:

> Puh-lease, listen, like you I have to deal with fscking XP a *lot* for work, and
> it's like driving an old, half dead Toyota (<G>).

Ooooooo....ouch....got me there matey.

> Must admit, I don't know much about the Office shit, but this one blew me away.
> This client calls me because all of a sudden, his Outlook 'mail client'
> (shudder) opens with the message that his messages and contacts are not
> accessible. He's seriously pissed. You know what the problem was?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296088
>
> So, no warning, just a serious fuckup that could easily be avoided by *not
> putting every message and contact into one big stupid-ass file!*
>
> MS developers are a bunch of moronic crackheads, but hell, they make me money.

I've dealt with this issue before - but in an easier manner:
Sold the customer a RedHat server; used the standard imap/sendmail
setup; copied particular folders to the imap server therefore deleting
them from the .PST (this took DAYS - no joke); upon completion, reset
the configuration for LookOut to just use the IMAP server; customer
happy, worked faster than it did before. Customer decided to make use of
another server (linux, of course) for file/print sharing. Now I only
drop in once in a while to check the Windows2000/XP workstations - the
server keep on serving...

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
Sometimes the gods have no taste at all. They allow sunrises and sunsets
in ridiculous pink and blue hues that any professional artist would
dismiss as the work of some enthsiastic amateur who'd never looked at a
real sunset. This was one of those sunrises. It was the kind of sunrise
a man looks at and says, 'No real sunrise could paint the sky Surgical
Appliance Pink.' Nevertheless, it was beautiful. (The Thief of Time)