On Sunday 02 May 2004 4:52 am, Carl J. Bauman wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >"In earlier times when few people could read, the star on the door
> >was for the men, and the moon for the ladies." Why the star? Why the
> >moon? Truth be told, we've got no idea.
>
> We're way OT now, ain't we?
>
> FWIW, the first paragraph on this page,
> http://www.udayton.edu/mary/questions/yq/yq244.html,  seems to
> connect the waning and waxing of the moon with the female menstrual
> cycle,as well as the Virgin Mary.  That might explain the crescent
> moon for the ladies?  It also seems to point to the sun or a star as
> a symbol for the Christ,  possibly explaining that association with
> men.  During the colonial and expansionist phases of US history,
> literacy was low but most people would've been familiar with this
> symbolism even though we've moved away from it in modern times.

I would hazard a guess that the star was originally a stylised sun. I
imagine, cutting a hole in the wood, its hard to make the two look much
different.

For reasons why the moon, take a look at the moon on Tuesday night
between 8pm and 10pm (probably BST, = GMT-1) from anywhere in Europe,
Africa, Asia or Australia. (I have a feeling Australians wont see much
due to it being daylight.) It rises between 8:20 and 9:10 in Britain.

--
Richard Urwin