[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2004 07:34 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 12:38, David A. Ferguson wrote:

Well I am a new user myself.  So, I am not sure what all the parameters
mean.
But, here is a copy of my floppy fstab line and some comments.

MINE none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0
YOURS none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2 ,--,umask=0,user \___/ \__/ this probably lets it read DOS and
Linux disks__/ / / this is probably your problem, the user
flag turns off __/ a lot of other flags (see man mount for details)

MINE  ,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
YOURS ,iocharset=iso8859-1,     codepage=850 0 0
                          \__/
                          /
I think this causes all writes to occure immediately.

Try removing the 'user' flag and see if that works. I would guess that the sync flag would be good for floppies since you might remove a floppy while there was still some buffered data.

I made my fstab lines exactly the same as yours and still no joy!  This
is getting serious, I can't back up anything!

Rich

I am coming in late here but remove supermount might be the answer, so it has always been in my systems. On some it works on others it doesn't.

HTH

Easyest wayI found was to # out the entries for supermount floppies and replace them with,

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

that sets up automount which does work.

John

--
John Richard Smith