On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 09:34, Richard Urwin wrote:
On Tuesday 18 May 2004 1:41 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 18:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Neither of these suggestions work either.  I # out any reference
> > > to mounting the floppy and attempted to mount manually after a
> > > reboot. Still no luck, the message is that fd0 is not a valid
> > > block device.  If I look in the /dev directory, fd0 is there with
> > > me as the owner.  What on earth is going on????
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > Try this, in /etc/fstab :-
> >
> > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto unhide,noauto,user 0 0
> >
> > It will probably deliver error messages other than that the
> > /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device. Then adjust accordingly.
> >
> > The only other thing I can think of is try this, in /etc/fstab :-
> >
> > /dev/floppy/0 /mnt/floppy auto
> > rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,unhid
> >e,umask=0,user=rich 0 0
> >
> > Or whatever your user name is. Or leave out the actual =rich out of
> > the line.
> >
> > Try both ways.
> >
> > That is how my system writes it in /etc/mtab so that might be of
> > assistance. I have got things working by following the lead of
> > /etc/mtab.
> >
> > Apologies because I am still using 9.2 and not 10 of any version.
>
> Nothing seems to work.  I copied the line from /etc/mtab into
> /etc/fstab and am able to mount the floppy manually from the cl.  I
> can read the floppy but when I try to copy a file to it, it begins by
> asking if I want to overwrite the file with the same name; I reply
> yes and the copy sequence starts, puts in the new date and then stops
> with a
> 'input/output' error.  The file on the floppy has a new date and a
> size of 0!
>
> I'm baffled.  We're in the process of moving and I just don't have a
> lot of time to spend on this problem anymore.

When all else fails it might be a hardware error.
Try formatting a floppy on the machine, the drive might be out of
alignment, and this may then allow you to write floppies on that drive.
But you might not be able to use them on any others...

Try swapping the drive, they're dead cheap.

Might also be the controller on the Mobo, of course.

I thought of that but this problem is exactly the same on two computers, including my laptop.  And the drives work OK under Windows.

I attempted to copy the file to /mnt/windows/temp so that I could copy it to the floppy from there, however, I was denied permission.  Attempts to change permission of the windows folder (as root) were denied. ???

I going to mail the file to my self from mdk10, reboot and pick it up in WinXP so I can get it on the floppy.

Rich