On Saturday 12 June 2004 04:43 am, Teilhard Knight wrote:
| > On Thursday 10 June 2004 08:18 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:

| I have always had problems with networks in windows. I am far from being a
| network administrator, but I have had some such at home from my ISPs who
| rarely fix something for me in that area. I am using Mandrake 10,0 in one
| of my machines, but in others I have installed previous versions. The first
| time I installed the distro, I got delighted everything was working. With
| 10.0 I have no sound and I haven't been able to make it work. It is here
| where I find Windows more friendly to what one can do to fix the problem.
| But, as you say, past the configuration, Linux is a very friendly OS. Maybe
| I feel a bit lost because I am a newbie. For example, it is essential to me
| the support of this list and I do not belong to any Microsoft mailing
| lists.

I'm actually with you on this.  Although Mandrake tools are the best (I've
used Redhat, SuSe, Deb, and even Caldera, way back when), Mandrake is really
a cutting edge distro.  The upside is it has the latest developments, the
downside is that some things don't work on all hardware.  This has been
ongoing with Mandrake from the 7.x series.  I won't install any new version
until at least several months after release because of these problems, and
from what I read, I won't be installing mdk 10.0.  It seems to work on most
people's hardware, but a small percentage have serious problems with their
sound.  Now, this may be fixable (something simple like changing from your
card's arts driver to the alternative OSS driver, for example), or it may be
a systemic problem with the distro.  If past releases are any indication,
most of these problems will be worked out by the 10.1 version, and the 10.2
version will be excellent.
But, for now, 9.2 and 9.1 work exactly the way that I want them to, and I
can't see a single reason to upgrade.