On Thursday 10 June 2004 08:18 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
| > Teilhard Knight wrote:
| > <snip>
| >

| Indeed. Although most of the things you say are new to me, I can appreciate
| command-line Linux is a much more powerful OS than DOS ever was. To be
| honest, I feel impatient for seeing the end of the Micro$soft empire and
| its blue-screen world. Maybe that's why I would like to see in Linux only
| improvements over $ill Gates toys and a friendly environment. However, the
| more I learn about Linux, the less I picture it like an OS for a secretary,
| for example. I agree with someone who said that $ill Gates has a stronghold
| in his Control Panel. But that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate the
| advantages of Linux over Windows, and the speed it is evolving.
|
| Cordially,
|
| Teilhard
|
| -------------------------------------------------

Once you get it setup (and quite often--depending on hardware--it is setup
right on install) anyone can use it, and use it well.  My wife's computer was
converted to Linux a couple of years ago and she has no trouble with it
whatsover, across a couple of upgrades from 8.2 to 9.1, which she is using
now.  As she told a friend a few months ago, "Linux is easy to use--it must
be if I can do it".
As for myself, I was a network administrator back in the NT 4 days--what Linux
has now is far simpler than NT was then.  I can't say about W2K or XP
administration, but I think just keeping up with the updates for security
vulnerabilities appears to be far more trouble than I want to go to.
Contrary to appearances, the famous Windows ease-of-use is really a facade
because the administration of the system is a nightmare.  I learned back in
my day that I couldn't just install a security fix because there was a
chance, a very good chance, that the fix would break some essential
application.  From what I see on the newsgroups, it doesn't appear that this
Windows feature has changed much over the years.