On Saturday 10 July 2004 05:20 pm, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> hello,
> i've been a pretty devout redhat user since around 2000.  that being
> said, i'm thinking of switching over to mandrake 10.0 because of a
> couple reasons:
>
> 1)  i'm a huge KDE fan and that is default desktop on mandrake (as
> opposed to fedora core's gnome)
> 2)  fedora core 2 seems to have been getting tons of complaints lately
>
> now i have a few questions/concerns before switching over:
>
> 1)  typically, i do a pretty minimal linux install + dev tools and i
> install all my program from source.  i like to have my stuff pretty up
> to date.  if i'm in a bind for time, i sometimes download an rpm and
> manually install it.  i'm older now and more busy, i don't really have
> the time to compile everything from source (else i would use gentoo i
> guess)...;)  i never learned how to use yum or anything like that but i
> think if i do a fresh install of some linux distro i'd like to learn a
> tool like that.  does mandrake have anything like yum?  what is package
> management like and where can i learn more about it?

It's called urpmi, and it is awesome if you get your sources set up properly.
You can start here:

http://www.urpmi.org/

> 2)  related to #1 above, i noticed that mandrake 10.0 comes with
> kde-3.2.  the latest version of kde is 3.2.3.  is there any "easy" way
> to upgrade?

The version included with 10.0 is a heavily patched 3.2.2, but 3.2.3 RPMS are
available for Mandrake 10.0 on ftp.kde.org.

> 3)  there is some issue about the new kernel and dual booting with winxp
> (i've read about it on the fedora mailing list).  does mandrake have a
> similar problem?  it would seem like the answer is yes, since its a 2.6
> kernel problem.

As long as your partitions already exist, you'll be fine.  if you need to
re-partition, your best bet is to use the 1st CD of 9.2 and boot to rescue
mode, then using the fdisk on that, make your partitions.  I guess you could
run the installer for 9.2 up to the point of disk partitioning too to get a
gui.  Just be careful if you do that and you have an LG CDROM drive.  If you
do, to be safe use something else, like FC1 disk druid or the diskdrake in
PCLOS (mandrake style LiveCD).

> 4)  i'm tired of manual configuring things with vim...;)  since mandrake
> is suppose to be the leader in "linux desktop computing", i'm hoping
> that there are gui configuration tools for pretty much >everything<.  is
> this true?

yes, it is called mandrake Control Center, or MCC for short.

> thats all i can think of now.  i guess my main reason for switching is
> KDE and i'm guessing that all of mandrakes configuration tools use the
> KDE (or QT) libraries.

Actually, they are GTK2 based, but that is only so that they operate at a high
level of performance in a desktop environments.  Since GTK is lighter weight
than QT, they work well in KDE and GNOME, as well as the other lightweight
DM's.

> what do you all think?

Welcome, I hope you stay.

--