Hi Chris! Welcome to Mandrake. I've been a Fedora user too, and I think you'll come to
find that Mandrake gives you great consumer flexibility, while being a very powerful
server as well. It's not better than any other linux distro, just different (as they
all are).

I'll take your questions 1 at a time:

Does mandrake have anything like yum?  what is package
CJB> management like and where can i learn more about it?

Yes Very much! One of the best things about Mandrake is a tool called URPMI, which is
a wrapper for RPM just like YUM. It maintains a list of available packages, and
resolves those dreaded RPM dependencies automatically. The thing that sets URPMI apart
is the fact that Mandrake mirrors maintain an hdlist of RPM headers, so instead of
having to download every individual RPM header, they are all conveniently located in
one file, which makes setting up installs a snap. You can have your mirror via FTP,
HTTP, on a set of CDs, local to the hard drive, on an NFS share, even through an SSH
tunnel. It has a lot of very powerful features if you want them, but the sum of it is
this:

man urpmi for more information, google for easy urpmi for quick setup of mirrors. One
you're set up, when you know what you want to install (e.g. nmap), all you have to
type at the shell is:

urpmi nmap

and it will take care of everything else for you. There is even a very polished GUI
interface (rpmdrake) to URPMI similar to Windows Add/Remove Programs. This mini-HOWTO
is good information too if you're not fond of those dense MAN files:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/eggnbacon/docs/urpmi-howto/

CJB> 2)  related to #1 above, i noticed that mandrake 10.0 comes with
CJB> kde-3.2.  the latest version of kde is 3.2.3.  is there any "easy" way
CJB> to upgrade?

Yes! New updates are released often, and to do an update of all your installed
components, URPMI makes it easy. Just type this:

urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select

and Mandrake will check for updates and automatically install them. You can even
schedule this in a cron job (great for servers).

If you like bleeding edge, there is the Cooker. Cooker is the development branch of
Mandrake. By setting up URPMI to include the cooker mirrors, you use the same URPMI
commands, but you get updates much more frequently. The downside is that they may be
less stable, but I've rarely had a problem.

CJB> 3)  there is some issue about the new kernel and dual booting with winxp
CJB> (i've read about it on the fedora mailing list).  does mandrake have a
CJB> similar problem?  it would seem like the answer is yes, since its a 2.6
CJB> kernel problem.

I'm afraid I can't answer this question for you, since I run only linux natively (I
use XP too, just on a separate machine). I would assume since it is kernel related
then there might be a problem, but Mandrake updates tend to get released much faster
than Fedora, so it will probably be fixed quicker. You might want to check the
Mandrake Bugzilla at http://qa.mandrakesoft.com and find the issue (or file one
yourself), track it, and they'll let you know when a fix is found.

CJB> 4)  i'm tired of manual configuring things with vim...;)  since mandrake
CJB> is suppose to be the leader in "linux desktop computing", i'm hoping
CJB> that there are gui configuration tools for pretty much >everything<.  is
CJB> this true?

Mandrake Control Center is your friend :). While a lot of the server-related stuff is
still relegated to $FavoriteTextEditor, There are tons of configuration tools for
Hardware (harddrake), Networking (drakconnect), Software (rpmdrake, a GUI front-end
for URPMI)

CJB> thats all i can think of now.  i guess my main reason for switching is
CJB> KDE and i'm guessing that all of mandrakes configuration tools use the
CJB> KDE (or QT) libraries.

CJB> what do you all think?

CJB> thanks for the insights and advice!

Glad to help! Mandrake does focus on KDE, but all the other desktops are there if you
want them :)

Please post again with any other questions. Most of my knowledge is server-oriented,
but I'm sure others can help you out with the more desktop-like tools :).

Justin Grote
Network Architect, CCNA
JWG Networks
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove nospam-)
SMS:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove nospam-)
Phone: (208) 631-5440