Len Lawrence wrote:

 This simpleton needs help again!

 desktop: Mandrake 9.2 PowerPack - stock kernel 2.4.22-10 laptop:
 Mandrake 9.2 download edition - empkernel 2.4.22

 I have a desktop system connected via a D-Link cable modem to
 BlueYonder and an EmperorLinux laptop with an Orinoco wireless
 network card. In nine months I have never got round to networking
 the laptop but I did get a Belkin broadband/DSL gateway router.
 After nine months I think it is time I used it. The problem is I
 cannot find any simple instructions anywhere to guide me through the
 install and I have spent many hours googling, and checking archived
 emails and HOWTOs on the disk. The first step would be to connect
 the desktop through the router but what is required? Would
 DrakConnect help? I don't want to try it until I am sure what to do
 otherwise I could be cut off from the list. I believe that the
 desktop should be assigned a local inet address - I don't know what
 configuration file to edit for this or what address range to use.
 The router has its own inet address which can be used to access the
 onboard web based interface and I assume it would need the inet and
 MAC addresses of the network cards.

 I am hoping that the new MAC address will be registered with
 BlueYonder automatically when the router is plugged in (?).

You may have to go to the setup screen on the router, and tell it to mimic the MAC address of the desktop. This is covered in the router instructions. If your desktop is set up to use DHCP, (it probably is.), you should be all set. The desktop will get its settintgs from the router instead of from the cable modem. The wireless setup should be easy as well. Make sure you can connect from the laptop first, before playing with WEP. It makes troubleshooting easyer if you do things one step at a time. Besides, if you log into the router from the laptop, and then generate the key, you can cut and past the key before sctivating it, so you don't have to type it. (I hate it when I mistype a 128bit key!)

Mikkel