Len Lawrence wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:17:31 +0100
Kevin Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Len Lawrence wrote:

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 02:40:20 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Mate

I'm with blueyonder, register your wireless router on blueyonder, before you use it.  I guess you
have Modem ---> router ----> lan setup or something like that.  Me Cable Modem --> router
--> lan

                        wireless accesspoint.

Works a treat for me. If your router is allocating ip address via dhcp you should be alright. Can you tell me what the name of the router you are using. Failing that get me on gaim doggieukD. I'll try and talk you throuh the process. I'm working nights and come off my shift Friday morning before I can help you out.

Thanks for the response Kevin.  I don't have a clue how to register the router
with BlueYonder - that is why I hoped it would be automatic.  From what Mikkel
and the user manual says cloning the MAC address would get past that hurdle.

My setup would be:

desktop ---> router ---> cablemodem

| wireless

               laptop

Don't know about gaim - have never talked online. That's a whole new kettle of fish.

When I first connected to broadband using DHCP, BlueYonder would change my
hostname every few days, which meant my having to edit the /etc/hosts file by hand (names like dhcp285), but some time ago this changed and the hostname has remained fixed at x1-6-00-05-5d-47-9a-4a ever since. This is the ifcfg-eth0 file:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

and /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost       x1-6-00-05-5d-47-9a-4a

The router I shall be using is the Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router with 802.11b Wi-Fi access.

Hi Len

Yes cloning does work as I have done this too, some good news Len you don't have to register your network card with blueyonder anymore, so you can just plug your modem into you wan port of your router. Normally the etc host are for your local machine on the network. Eg I have for machines

127.0.0.1 localhost 192.168.5.70 darkstar.linux.localdomain
192.168.5.80 dell.linux.localdomain
192.168.5.90 tornado.linux.localdomain
192.168.5.50 test.linux.localdomain

Above all my machines can resolve the names with their ip address.

Len do you mean the host name of your machine? You can actually set this yourself so it becomes permanment. Before I go any further lets get one thing working at a time before we move onto the next, otherwise I think you might get confused very quickly;)

Yes - in the past I have tried the hostname command and run into trouble. For instance, if set to stargate it would be overwritten by BlueYonder as soon as I connected. If there was no localhost in the hosts file then
applications like emacs took ages to come up, presumably timing out on an attempt to access the machine over the internet. But I think you are
talking about setting the name in a sysconfig network file - there is
something about that in the networking HOWTO I think. I did not realize that there was a choice if you ran dhcp. I thought that the "d" meant you
were stuck with a dynamic IP.

I'll take a look at the router man online, I think the default login page to configure it http://192.168.0.1 this will tell you in the manual.

Yes, the manual gives 198.168.2.1 in my case.

Hi Len

With blueyonder your ip will be dynamic, so it changes regular unless you specify you want a static one, not sure how much it cost though. the Dhcp manages your clients automatically locally on your network. How far have you progressed then with the router? Are things working?