From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Len Lawrence
Sent:   Thu 8/5/2004 12:04 AM
To:     newbie
Subject:        [newbie] How to set up a wireless router?
This simpleton needs help again!

desktop: Mandrake 9.2 PowerPack - stock kernel 2.4.22-10
laptop: Mandrake 9.2 download edition - empkernel 2.4.22

I have a desktop system connected via a D-Link cable modem to
BlueYonder and an EmperorLinux laptop with an Orinoco wireless network
card.  In nine months I have never got round to networking the laptop
but I did get a Belkin broadband/DSL gateway router.  After nine
months I think it is time I used it.  The problem is I cannot find any
simple instructions anywhere to guide me through the install and I
have spent many hours googling, and checking archived emails and
HOWTOs on the disk.  The first step would be to connect the desktop
through the router but what is required?  Would DrakConnect help?  I
don't want to try it until I am sure what to do otherwise I could be
cut off from the list.  I believe that the desktop should be assigned
a local inet address - I don't know what configuration file to edit
for this or what address range to use.  The router has its own inet
address which can be used to access the onboard web based interface
and I assume it would need the inet and MAC addresses of the network
cards.

I am hoping that the new MAC address will be registered with
BlueYonder automatically when the router is plugged in (?).

--
Len Lawrence
The two things that can get you into trouble quicker than anything else