On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:30:41 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Len Lawrence wrote:
>
> >  This simpleton needs help again!
> >
> >  desktop: Mandrake 9.2 PowerPack - stock kernel 2.4.22-10 laptop:
> >  Mandrake 9.2 download edition - empkernel 2.4.22
> >
> >  I have a desktop system connected via a D-Link cable modem to
> >  BlueYonder and an EmperorLinux laptop with an Orinoco wireless
> >  network card. In nine months I have never got round to networking
> >  the laptop but I did get a Belkin broadband/DSL gateway router.
> >  After nine months I think it is time I used it. The problem is I
> ---------- chomp chomp ----------------
> >  I am hoping that the new MAC address will be registered with
> >  BlueYonder automatically when the router is plugged in (?).
> >
> You may have to go to the setup screen on the router, and tell it to
> mimic the MAC address of the desktop.  This is covered in the router
> instructions.  If your desktop is set up to use DHCP, (it probably is.),
> you should be all set.  The desktop will get its settintgs from the
> router instead of from the cable modem.  The wireless setup should be
> easy as well.  Make sure you can connect from the laptop first, before
> playing with WEP.  It makes troubleshooting easyer if you do things one
> step at a time.  Besides, if you log into the router from the laptop,
> and then generate the key, you can cut and past the key before
> sctivating it, so you don't have to type it.  (I hate it when I mistype
> a 128bit key!)
>
> Mikkel

Thanks for the advice.  Much simpler than I expected - and yes, one step at a
time is definitely my default mode.

WEP - could not find a definition for that but worked out that it probably
means Wireless Encryption Passphrase.

The laptop side should be easy as you say.  The system logs show that
EmperorLinux managed a successful wireless connection before dispatch.

--
Len Lawrence