On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 00:54, German Guillot wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:18:36 -0500, Hoyt Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > You might try:
> > '/usr/bin/galeon weather.com' (or whatever site you want)
>
> Yeah, tried that too. I think I've tried everything short of changing
> security settings in the X server,  but I'm not going down that route.
> Anyway, I've learnt about cron, I've learnt a bit about shell
> scripting, and that's all good. I can't open a browser window
> directly, but I'll find other ways of getting a notification. After
> all if I'm running X anyway, I can always click on a bookmark.
>
> Or... leave a process running which reads a file, which cron updates.
> When the file reads 1, the running process opens a window. When the
> file reads 0, do nothing. Hm! Gonna try that.
>
> Germán.

Maybe I walked in late in the thread here - but I'm trying to NOW figure
out what y'all tryin to do - is it that you want cron to open a browser
for you for a specific URL and that's all?

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture
http://kma.0catch.com  :: mobile 0410.728.389
Serving Sydney, The Illawarra, South Coast and Rural NSW
  Mandrake GNU/Linux 10.0 OE/Kernel 2.6.3-7/ No Viruses here.

Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles, called
electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been
drinking. Electrons travel at the speed of light, which in most American
homes is 110 volts per hour. This is very fast. In the time it has taken
you to read this sentence so far, an electron could have traveled all
the way from San Francisco to Hackensack, New Jersey, although God alone
knows why it would want to. The five main kinds of electricity are
alternating current, direct current, lightning, static, and European.
Most American homes have alternating current, which means that the
electricity goes in one direction for a while, then goes in the other
direction. This prevents harmful electron buildup in the wires. -- Dave
Barry, "The Taming of the Screw"