On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:40:56 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Len Lawrence wrote:
>
> >  Further to that. The router is now plugged in and running fine.
> >  Apart from service network restart there was very little action
> >  required. The hostname reverted to localhost.domain so /etc/hosts
> >  needed to be modified, and that was that. I am impressed.
> >
> >  I did not bother to clone the MAC address. Using the router MAC
> >  allows for more flexibility on the LAN side without bothering
> >  Telewest.
> >
> >  Thanks again for all the advice.
> >
> It is nice that you didn't need to clone the MAC address.  But I feel I
> should clear something up.  Cloning the MAC address has no affect on the
> local lan.  What it does is change the WAN interface MAC address to
> match the computer doing the configuration.  (Or the MAC address you
> specify on some routers.)  What this does is make the router look like
> it is the same network card that used to be connected to the modem
> before you installed the router.
>
> Conputer NIC
> ---------------------------------------------------------------- Cable Modem
> 00-E0-29-6A-C6-33
>
> 00-25-EF-0D-AC-10
>
> Computer NIC ----------------------------  Router
> ---------------------------- Cable Modem
> 00-E0-29-6A-C6-33       00-30-BD-C7-48-06    00-E0-29-6A-C6-33
> 00-25-EF-0D-AC-10
>
> I hope my crude drawing helps...

Yes, I did understand what it meant, but thanks for the clarification.  What
I meant was that not cloning allows you to make changes within the LAN, like
changing the NIC or adding machines, without BlueYonder needing to know, so
that your quota of MACs is unaffected.

TTFN
--
Len Lawrence
The only difference in the game of love over the last few thousand years