On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 17:25, Charlie Mahan wrote:

> On Sunday 08 August 2004 14:06:02, Julie Sloan wrote:
> > Someone please point me in the right direction - Yesterday suddenly I
> > wasn't able to open folders in the KDE GUI anymore.  Hop on over to
> > Gnome and they open just fine.  How did I screw this up?
>
>  Are you sure you screwed something up or did kdeinit just crash?
>
> Try restarting the X-Server while you're in the log-in manager screen.

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
'Splain more detailedly please

> Just for fun open a terminal when you're already in KDE and become super user
> then type
>
> kdeinit
>
> and strike the Enter key. Then try to open a directory.

FUN?!?  I get this:

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '.hidden/k3b-iso.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype ''
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: 'kbearimportfilter.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KParts/Plugin'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/dv'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-nsv'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m4a'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-asf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-asx'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-wax'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio-x-pn-realaudio'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-flac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'misc/ultravox'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop'
specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-matroska'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/fits'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pcx'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pix'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pnm'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Internet/kfmclient_war.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-webarchive'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'popmail-conduit.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KPilotConduit'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '.hidden/k3b-cue.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype ''
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-csharp-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-csharp-hde'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-eiffel-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-ferite-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-ilerpg-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-javascript'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kbasic-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/mfile'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sather-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-verilog-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-vhdl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/book'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Office/Wordprocessors/OpenOffice.org
Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype
'application/x-doc'

1) I didn't need to be su to do that
2) still can't open the directory - I double click on it and the
hourglass spins ("starting Konqueror") on the taskbar for about 30
seconds then shuts off.  ditto the "Home" icon:  I get "starting Home"
with an hourglass on the taskbar, then zilch.

I'm able to open them in the terminal though...

> > Uh, and how did I manage to change my line width to 45 characters (in
> > Ximian)?
> >
> As for the character limit, what application? Or do you mean everywhere?

Just in Ximian - not in any other aps I've tried.  ...haven't configured
the Kmail yet.  But get this:  although as I'm typing it, it wraps at ca
45 characters, apparently it rewraps when I send, so that's okay.  Just
annoying while I'm writing it.

> OK?
>
> Charlie

Ok fine.    :)   Thanks.

why linux?   because MS is to OS as AOL is to ISP