On Monday 16 Aug 2004 14:46, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Monday 16 Aug 2004 14:06, Keith Powell wrote:
> > I have been trying Thunderbird - a very nice program, and the spam filter
> > works well.
> >
> > However, I can't get it to spell check in GB English, only American
> > English.
> >
> > I have downloaded the correct dictionary from
> >
> > dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html
> >
> > but can't get Thunderbird to find it.
> >
> > The download site says to use "Tools->Options->Attachments" to install
> > it. but there is no "Attachments" item in that menu.
> >
> > How do I install the new dictionary, please?
> >
> > I can't find the answer with Google :-(
> >
> > Many thanks for any help.
> >
> > Keith
>
> It works for me with Thunderbird 0.9.1 which is available as an RPM from
> MandrakeClub or from Chip Cuccio's site
> http://norlug.org/~chipster/index.pxml?rpms
>
> (You may need to install xorg-x11-Xvfb before it will work)
>
> Thunderbird 0.91 supports extensions  "Tools->Options->Extensions"  not
> Attachments.
>
> To install the British spell checker go here
> http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html
>
> If you are using Mozilla or mozilla-firefox clicking on the spell checker
> will install it in mozilla itself. To install it in Thunderbird right click
> on the link and save the file somewhere in your home.
>
> Then in Thunderbird - Tools->Options->Extensions
> Press the 'Install' button and select the previously saved spell checker.
>
>  :-)
>
> derek

Sorry I must engage brain before typing :-(
The latest version of Thunderbird is of course 0.7.3

Also I had to run thunderbird as root when installing the extension or else it
did not have permission to the correct folder for the spell checker.

Finally when running a spell check you should be anle to select the
appropriate language in the drop down menu.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org