On Saturday 21 August 2004 08:45:08, JoeHill wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:25:04 -0400
>
> Bryan Phinney disseminated the following:
> > Ahhh, right.  I mean, why would a hacker bother to try to hit Linux when
> > all he would manage to do is compromise thousands of machines that make
> > up the entire Internet backbone.  I mean, what would be the good in, say
> > compromising all the google clusters and disrupting the primary search
> > engine of the Internet?  The other script kiddies would probably laugh
> > you out of the Internet cafe when talking about that compared to, oh,
> > sending out a brain-dead virus built from a kit, using a vulerability
> > that was published a year ago, that hits home users who haven't updated
> > their software since they bought their computer.  Yeah, it must be that
> > whole windows popularity thing, I am sure that the comparitive difficulty
> > in targeting Linux over windows has absolutely nothing to do with it.
> > Pull the other one.
>
> ROFLMAO! Nice...that's a keeper.
>
> The far less amusing version, dare I post it again:
>
> http://securityfocus.com/columnists/188

I agree with your assessment of Bryan's reply. (-:

On the other hand; you've probably seen the additional "editor's" comments on
that article that were added since it was first run? One includes a link to
the wildlist included in the editor's:

"Editor's note: unfortunately we have been made aware that this quote by Dr.
Peeling and Dr. Satchell is incorrect; the independent WildList organization
produces a monthly "in the wild" list of viruses. While the vast majority of
viruses in their report are Windows-based, there are still some Linux-based
viruses (listed as "Other") found in the wild as well."

Link: http://www.wildlist.org/WildList/

Later the editor has this to add:

"Editor's note: the above vulnerabilities, while valid, all had patches
provided by Microsoft months before they were actively exploited by malicious
code. This does not negate the fact that the vulnerabilities existed --
however there are also exploits for some Linux mail clients (Pine, mutt) that
will execute code on a system when the user views the message as well. To
bypass the security fix provided by Microsoft, the user must now take some
specific actions as explained in the link above."

In reference to the editor's first "correction" I see exactly one virus under
other for the latest month (June) on the list:

+W32/Bagle.X.

Since that's obviously a native Windows critter...who is this editor when he
isn't corrupting articles?

The second editorial comment, while somewhat true, is in fact exceptionally
misleading and seems to be an excerpt from the Microsoft "Get the Facts" PR
kit. A Win32 "Linux Virus?" Yeah right.

http://www.z-virus.com/Eng-virus-HTM/bagle-x.htm

http://enterprise-linux-it.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=23837

I once had a lot more respect for Security Focus and the writers that
contribute there, with a few notable exceptions.

On the third hand (Moties anyone? <g>); A question, does anyone know why the
list is suddenly being astro-turfed with html messages?

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.6.8.1-2mdk
"The porcupine with the sharpest quills gets stuck on a tree more often."