Kaj Haulrich wrote:

On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:11, Vincent Voois wrote:

Kaj Haulrich wrote:

My daughters PC and I have agreed on an armstice : It will
remain disconnected from all and everything until I receive new
CD's from HP. Then - maybe - I will try again, now armed with
all your advice and one CD full of
antispyware/antivirus/antiworm/firewall weapons downloaded and
burned via Linux. And NO networking until at least 7 scans
reveils NO malware whatsoever. And, if after 5 minutes online
it shows the slightest sign of infection : goodbye to
networking for good.

Why would you hook up her machine directly to the net when can arrange your Linux box to do all the NAT and firewalling stuff? All required are two ethernet cards and a crosscable (or a hub/switch and two utp cables). It's not an expensive configuration anymore nowadays.

Simple explanation : Her room is about 10 meters away from my home office, and I don't want to spend another day drilling holes, re-arranging rugs etc. thus exposing myself tho the ire of my - ever beloved - supreme command.

Furthermore, I'm not the type of guy that has the PC running non-stop. Actually, I hate the noise from the fan. And I suppose, that in order to have my box doing all the filtering for her box would necessitate a boot on both machines every time she wants to send an e-mail.

Kaj Haulrich.

Get a netgear FWG114P router.
It can route ADSL/Cable and dialup, and it has 802.11g wireless, and as an extra its also a print server.

I bought one of these awhile ago, and since then I've been selling them to clients. these things rock.

It also has built in SPI firewall, detects and blocks port scans and other intrusive acts, and is very cheap to boot.

It would protect your internal machines more then NATing behind a linux box.

rgds

Franki