Kaj Haulrich wrote:
Why would you hook up her machine directly to the net when can
arrange your Linux box to do all the NAT and firewalling stuff?
All required are two ethernet cards and a crosscable (or a
hub/switch and two utp cables). It's not an expensive
configuration anymore nowadays.

Simple explanation : Her room is about 10 meters away from my home office, and I don't want to spend another day drilling holes, re-arranging rugs etc. thus exposing myself tho the ire of my - ever beloved - supreme command.

Furthermore, I'm not the type of guy that has the PC running non-stop. Actually, I hate the noise from the fan. And I suppose, that in order to have my box doing all the filtering for her box would necessitate a boot on both machines every time she wants to send an e-mail.

Okay, then a simple switch would do the thing (besides the better silence-prestation, doesn't eat much power either), but this works pretty neatly only if you have a dialup connection effective enough for this (DSL or no charge for local calls)

The application she requires under windows, does it work in Wine?
If it does, why bother keeping her box up with windows?