Kaj Haulrich wrote:
My daughters PC and I have agreed on an armstice : It will remain disconnected from all and everything until I receive new CD's from HP. Then - maybe - I will try again, now armed with all your advice and one CD full of antispyware/antivirus/antiworm/firewall weapons downloaded and burned via Linux. And NO networking until at least 7 scans reveils NO malware whatsoever. And, if after 5 minutes online it shows the slightest sign of infection : goodbye to networking for good.

Why would you hook up her machine directly to the net when can arrange your Linux box to do all the NAT and firewalling stuff?
All required are two ethernet cards and a crosscable (or a hub/switch and two utp cables). It's not an expensive configuration anymore nowadays.