On Thursday 02 September 2004 03:31 pm, Margot wrote:

> We seem to be drifting a bit here...
>
> As I said in my original message, I need a solution that doesn't
> involve screwdrivers - not just because I'm a girl (!) but I have ME
> - the combination of brainfog plus physical limitations means that
> installing anything that involves taking the case off the box is
> beyond my capabilities.

I didn't catch that part.  I don't live in the UK, Margot but if someone in my
area of the US mentioned that type of limitation (meaning something as easy
as just popping open a box and installing an ethernet card) to me and they
were a fellow Linux traveler, I would try to arrange to stop by to install
the card myself and get the networking setup.  It would take about 20 minutes
total, I figure and I would consider it well worth the trouble for a comrade
in arms, so to speak.

If there is a LUG in your area, you might consider mentioning your interest in
an ethernet solution compared to USB and I would be willing to bet that a
solution would present itself.

> As I understand it, an ethernet card would be installed inside the
> box - which means that I'd have to pay not only for the card but for
> the installation of it, and of course there's the inconvenience of
> having to take the box to the shop etc...plus the cost of the router
> which appears to be considerably more expensive than the USB modem.

Have you had an opportunity to check sources for used equipment?  I would
really go that route because with modems and the like, there are no moving
parts so they tend to last forever short of lightning strikes.

> Right now, I can afford the broadband service plus the USB modem.
> I'd have to save up for another 2-3 months to go for the other
> option. I'd appreciate your opinion on this - will the ease of use
> of the ethernet option be worth the wait and the extra expense?

Well, all things being equal, I would suggest the ethernet route.  If you
really can't afford that, then I would probably go the USB route and try to
figure out how to upgrade later.  I would expect more issues with USB but it
looks like others have managed to get it working so you should be able to do
the same.

--
Bryan Phinney