On Thursday 02 Sep 2004 3:07 pm, Aron Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 02 September 2004 05:54 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > Aron Smith wrote:
> > >MCC will configure your card real nice
> > >

> > When you say configured, that is as a card recognised by the systen
> > and a device to be used by the system, you don't mean as part of
> > the  network ?
>
> Right AFAIK the addreses are trnslated your card has address
> xxx.xxx.xxx MCC translates that as yyy.yyy.yyy
> OTH what do I know i'm new at this :-)

There are two networks:
  Your local LAN
  The ISPs network

The router's job is to sit on both networks and to pass traffic betwen
them as required.

The LAN will probably have the address 192.168.1.0, and machines on that
LAN will replace that zero with some number 1-254. So in all likelyhood
your router will be 192.168.1.1, and your computer will be 192.168.1.2

The ISPs network will give your router an address, let's say 10.1.1.45

When your computer wants to send a packet to a machine that is not on
the 192.168.1.0 network it sends it to the address that it has been
told is the "default gateway". That would be 192.168.1.1 in this case.

You could (I do) set all these numbers up by editing /etc/hosts and
using "route" to add the router as the default gateway. But there is an
easier way. Just configure the router to get it's external address by
DHCP, and act as a DHCP server to the LAN. IIUC, that's the usual
factory settings. Then configure your computer to be a DHCP client.
IIUC, that's easy using MCC.

Now all those numbers are handled for you and you can ignore them. The
system just works.

Why do I do things differently?
1. I have a static IP address, so the external address is not going to
change.
2. I have a network printer, and sometimes other computers on the LAN.
It's useful to know their addresses are not going to change. It is
possible to set that up with DHCP, but it's just as easy to not bother
with it and do it by hand.

-------
Aron,
On an ethernet network every ethernet card has an address that looks
like 34:54:65:76:98:ba. That's the "ethernet address". You should
ignore it unless you are setting up static addresses in the DHCP
server, (see 2 above.)  It has absolutely no effect on the TCP/IP
networking, (that you need to know about.) MCC in no way translates it.
I can go into more detail if you want, but this probably isn't the
right thread.

--
Richard Urwin