On Wednesday 01 Sep 2004 23:02, Margot wrote:
> I've managed to track down what looks to be an ethical and
> reasonably-priced Broadband provider - www.thephone.coop - they
> assure me that their service will work with Linux (and their tech
> support didn't scream in horror when I asked!).
>
> They don't supply a modem. Can anyone recommend one which will
> definitely work with Mandrake 10 (and with Win 98SE, as I'm now dual
> booting)? Preferably an external one, as I'm not confident with
> screwdrivers! Or, are there any I should definitely avoid?
>
> Margot

Margot,
This might be  further option to confuse you :-)

I know nothing about their ethics or service level but
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadbandaccess/
offer various options at 1Mb download speed  (if your exchange does not
support 1Mb you wil get the 512k service). They have options of
2Gb monthly d/l limit for £17.99, 6Gb for £22.99 and 30Gb for £27.99
they don't mention whether VAT is included.
(if your exchange does not support 1Mb you wil get the 512k service)
They do offer a free modem & connection.
--
http://www.poogle.co.uk