On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:14:54 +0100
Margot disseminated the following:

> > Then Moz is not seeing the file as a script, but just a file to be read. I'm
> > not
> > sure about Moz, but in Sylpheed you can choose between a static file (to be
> > read), or a command to be run which generates the sig. Does Moz have a
> > similar
> > choice in the signature config dialogue?
> >

> No, unfortunately, or if there is I haven't found it yet! In Account
> Settings, there's a box to tick marked "Attach this signature", and
> another box to give the path to the file.

Switch to Sylpheed ;-)

> That's why I'm thinking I need to somehow run the script outside
> Mozilla, create a 2nd file for the output of the script, then use
> that output file as the sig file.
>
> I know how to set up the 2nd file, but I can't work out to run the
> script or get it to put the output into the 2nd file!

Just run 'scriptname > /path/to/outputfile'.

> I haven't done much with scripts yet, so this is a "whole new
> learning experience" - but it's for a worthy cause, & I'm sure it
> will come in useful for other things too!

Oh, you betcha.

You could set up a cron job to run every, say 15 minutes or so, to run the
script. Can't say as I've ever figured out how to schedule anything except
hourly, m'self. Hourly, it would go like this:

crontab -e

which gets you into your user's cron config, hit 'i' to insert text, then:

0 * * * * /path/to/script > /path/to/outputfile

Then of course just point Moz at the /path/to/outputfile.

If you don't want to mess with Vi and that, you could use Webmin to set up the
cron job, but that's kinda overkill, and you won't learn anything.

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.freeyourmachine.org
18:30:30 up 37 days, 18:16, 8 users, load average: 2.64, 3.09, 2.75
and death." -- Vandana Shiva, World Social Forum, January 16, 2004