JoeHill wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:14:54 +0100
Margot disseminated the following:

Then Moz is not seeing the file as a script, but just a file to be read. I'm
not
sure about Moz, but in Sylpheed you can choose between a static file (to be
read), or a command to be run which generates the sig. Does Moz have a
similar
choice in the signature config dialogue?

No, unfortunately, or if there is I haven't found it yet! In Account Settings, there's a box to tick marked "Attach this signature", and another box to give the path to the file.

Switch to Sylpheed ;-)

That's why I'm thinking I need to somehow run the script outside Mozilla, create a 2nd file for the output of the script, then use that output file as the sig file.

I know how to set up the 2nd file, but I can't work out to run the script or get it to put the output into the 2nd file!

Just run 'scriptname > /path/to/outputfile'.

I haven't done much with scripts yet, so this is a "whole new learning experience" - but it's for a worthy cause, & I'm sure it will come in useful for other things too!

Oh, you betcha.

You could set up a cron job to run every, say 15 minutes or so, to run the
script. Can't say as I've ever figured out how to schedule anything except
hourly, m'self. Hourly, it would go like this:

crontab -e

which gets you into your user's cron config, hit 'i' to insert text, then:

0 * * * * /path/to/script > /path/to/outputfile

I got this far...but couldn't work out how to save what I'd inserted! Checked man crontab, looked for the file in the location that man said it should be in - I don't appear to have a crontab file at all! Eek!

Then of course just point Moz at the /path/to/outputfile.

Managed to run it manually though, and use the output (see below!) - which is probably all I need for now as I don't need to use the sig on all mails, just the occasional one!

Thanks for your help :-)

--
Regards
Margot