Randall D. Hobbs wrote:

This isn't a remark to Jack - this is mostly to those who don't agree with what he said... Remember when you guys were new to Linux? I'm sure about 90% of you thought the same way. I know I did. There is a substantial learning curve to Linux - you cannot go to a software store and buy software for Linux (at least not that I've seen), and when you purchase a printer, video card, or any number of other computer related hardware, it's Windows that they support, not Linux. There are still lots of things that are lacking in Linux - mostly due to the fact that the companies who build the hardware get locked into providing just Windows drivers for it, and so it leaves it to people who have no real knowledge of the hardware to try to write drivers for it in Linux. Yes, Linux has come a long way - but it still doesn't have that "easy installation" and total all around support for hardware that Windows has.

I agree totally Randall. Perhaps I should have stated that it isn't Linux's fault that Canon doesn't provide a Linux driver for it's printer. It's a "chicken and egg" problem. As long as Linux is not used by the vast majority, drivers won't be provided, thereby causing many not to use Linux, etc. etc. etc.

That being said, Jack, you ARE on the right track. Getting into the newsgroups and asking is definitely the way to go. For the most part, the Linux community is really good about sharing information, and there are solutions for most of the problems, whether it's just a simple hack or a total recompile. You will also ALWAYS step on someone elses toes with any opinion you make, so don't let that get to you. Everyone else has an opinion too, and it's just human to want to say your part.

I'm a teacher, Randall.  I have very thick skin.

In my opinion, Linux HAS come a long way. It still has a long ways to go. That's why developers work on it constantly, updating, rewriting apps, etc., to make it better. When you think it is as good as it needs to be, well, you're in the same boat the Microsoft developers are in. See where that gets Windows users?

If I thought things were hopeless in the Linux world, I would not keep it on my computer. My personal opinion is that the OS is *very close* to becoming a serious player. And as far as I'm concerned, this can happen none too soon...

Linux may never have the same "ease of use" that Windows has been incorporated with (for the most part), but therein lies its strength. Once you learn HOW to install something, you are that much more knowledgable for the next go round. You also don't have to worry about software installing itself over the network automatically, as is the case with Windows and worms.

Having said that, any more thoughts on my KDE 3.3 problem?   <grin>

- Jack