On Friday 12 Nov 2004 21:18, Jack wrote:

> >Canon gear is always hard, as they will not cooperate in releasing api
> >details.  However, it is sometimes possible to get things to work.  Did
> > you ask any specific questions about this?
>
> Yes, I did, to no avail.  The printer works off of a USB port.
> Installation sees it but can't do anything with it.  The suggestion it
> gives is raw printer (which as you know means no printer driver).

Canon + multi-function device is sure to equal problems.  I really don't know
whether you stand any chance at all with that.  FWIW, it was just such a
problem with my printer, when I could not afford to replace it, that put off
my uptake of linux for 2 years.

> >>3 - Couldn't upgrade to KDE 3.3, despite having the CD for it and
> >>despite help from experts like Randall.  I spent *weeks* on this.
> >>Nothing I tried worked, nor did any suggestions work.
> >
> >This is not a task for a newbie.
>
> Well... yes Anne, I am a *Linux* newbie but I'm not a newbie to
> computers.  I used to teach DOS courses.  I used to consult in the
> Windows world.  And finally, I used to assemble and sell PC's.  I am
> able to follow most suggestions and understand what they're attempting
> to do.  However, the suggestions *don't work,* to the surprise of
> experts like Randall.

I understand that - much the same background as I had - but although I've been
running linux full-time for the last two years I would still approach that
particular upgrade with trepidation.  In fact, I'm still trying to decide
whether to go for it.

> >>5 - Most damning of all was my attempted upgrade to 10.1 official.  I
> >>completely wiped my drive to do a clean install, and after everything
> >>was said and done, the official version could not find the internet, nor
> >>my onboard (Asus P4P800) sound card.
> >
> >You probably didn't check all the Configuration options late in the
> > install. There is no reason why those could not have been persuaded to
> > work.
>
> All desired configuration options were checked.  As mentioned above, I
> am not brain-dead when it comes to computers.  The installation reported
> that *it couldn't find* my ethernet card, nor my sound device.  What's
> really perplexing is that this wasn't a problem with 10.0 or 10.1
> community.

I think others that have had similar problems have had either shared IRQs or
USB problems.  It can be a lengthy business trying to find what exactly is
causing it.  You must have met situations like that before.  I remember
having two windows computers, same specification, same configuration sitting
next to each other in my office.  One was a stable as a rock, the other
crashed constantly.  By the time we had finished we had changed every
component in the box.  We never did find out why.

> >What questions did you ask, and where?
>
> There were a few... most recently, I filled out the FTP request form for
> the 10.1 official ISO's.  I filled this form out *twice* as nothing
> happened.  I then sent email to them asking what had happened to my
> request - no response.  This was not surprising to me, as every single
> time I have emailed them, I have received dead silence as a response.

I don't know anything about the procedure for FTP downloads.  I do know that
resources are scarce, so you may well have been in a queue.  I also
acknowledge that MandrakeSoft are not known for being world-class
communicators.  But that doesn't answer the questions I asked.  I had been
away from the list, so I do not know what questions you have asked, nor what
information you have provided for troubleshooting.

> >>I see great potential in Linux and I will maintain my dual-boot system,
> >>slowly learning to survive in Linux while waiting (and hoping) for the
> >>operating system to mature to a more usable state...
> >
> >I may sound harsh, Jack, but you have to realised that
> >a) you're a newbie, and don't know enough to make things easy
>
> I certainly don't expect things to be easy but I do expect them to be
> doable.

They are, believe me.

> >b) you've chosen a bleeding edge distro, so somethings have to be tweaked
> >until things work correctly
> >c) you're ambitious (good thing) and try things that you're not ready for
> >(good, but risky)
> >
> >Tell me about it!!!  That Linux image I have has saved my butt more than
> > once.  But how else do you learn if you don't try things?

There are black days when you feel you will never solve the problem.  And
sometimes that *is* the problem.  I had one here that I struggled with for
almost two months, and it has driven me wild.  I went into hospital for a
couple of days, and solved the problem within 48 hours of getting home.

To run linux well you need to want to understand it - and I think you do.
There are plenty of people willing to help you, but you need to have a streak
of cussedness as well.  Meanwhile - has anyone pointed you to the community
TWiki?  If not, follow the link in my sig and have a good browse around.
There's lots of info there, and I'm sure some of it will help you.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302