Thanks, Duncan, thanks, Mikkel:
the matter turns out to be a difficult one!

Duncan wrote:

> All you need is to create an entry in /etc/fstab. Give it a different
> mount point. Copy the entry for /home and change it so that the device
> entry is correct and the mount point is different. Make sure that you
> create the directory to use as a mount point.

I opened the file /etc/fstab and found the following line:

        /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

. Then I created the directory /mnt/hda7 and then added to /etc/fstab the
following line:

        /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 defaults 1 1

. This way the Linux 9.1 partition was mounted in the /mnt/hda7 directory.

> I you want to have 9.1 as a boot option, you have to fiddle a bit. If
> you are using lilo as your boot loader, then you need to add an entry
> for your 9.1 setup. Copy the 9.1 kernel into /boot and run lilo. If you
> get no errors, then it should work. Make sure that your lilo entry
> contains the full name of the kernel file, not the shortened link name.

I copied the file '/mnt/hda7/boot/kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk' into the
directory '/boot':

        # cp /mnt/hda7/boot/kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk /boot

Mikkel wrote:

>If you created the extra partitions by shrinking windows, you are also
>going to have to edit /etc/fstab and posible /etc/lilo.conf in the 9.1
>partition because the partition numbers changed when you added the new
>partitions.

In the file '/mnt/hda7/etc/fstab' I changed the line

        /dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1

   into

        /dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1

, and in the file '/mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.conf' I changed the line

        boot=/dev/hda

into

        boot=/dev/hda7

, and every occurence of 'root=/dev/hda5' (there were three) into
'root=/dev/hda7'.

>Also, another way to boot 9.1 is to boot in the rescue mode with the 9.1
>CD, mount the 9.1 partition on /mnt/hda7, and run "chroot /mnt/hda7"
>Edit /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf.  Change the root= section of
>lilo.conf from "root=/dev/hda" to "root=/dev/hda7".  Run lilo.

I logged out 10.1, inserted the 9.1 CD1, then pressed F1
and then typed '# rescue' (enter).
But how to mount the 9.1 partition on '/mnt/hda7'?
And when I tried to run lilo, with '# lilo', the system replied:
'bash: lilo: command not found'.

>Reboot to 10.1, and add to /etc/lilo.conf there this:
>
>other=/dev/hda7
>        label="MDK-9.1"

I did so.

>Then run lilo.  The next time you boot, you will have an option to boot
>9.1.  Picking this option will bring up the lilo menu you had before
>installing 10.1.

When I run lilo, with '# lilo', I got the following output:

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] rodolfo]# lilo
        Added linux *
        Added linux-nonfb
        Added failsafe
        Added windows
        Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda7 doesn't have a valid boot signature

Another strange thing is that when I reboot the system
the 9.1 kernel that I had copied into the /boot directory of 10.1
is no more there!

What did I miss or do wrong?

Cheers,
Rodolfo