Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Thanks, Duncan, thanks, Mikkel:
> the matter turns out to be a difficult one!
>
> Duncan wrote:
>

>>All you need is to create an entry in /etc/fstab. Give it a different
>>mount point. Copy the entry for /home and change it so that the device
>>entry is correct and the mount point is different. Make sure that you
>>create the directory to use as a mount point.
>

> I opened the file /etc/fstab and found the following line:
>
>       /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>
> . Then I created the directory /mnt/hda7 and then added to /etc/fstab the
> following line:
>
>       /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 defaults 1 1
>
> . This way the Linux 9.1 partition was mounted in the /mnt/hda7 directory.
>

>>I you want to have 9.1 as a boot option, you have to fiddle a bit. If
>>you are using lilo as your boot loader, then you need to add an entry
>>for your 9.1 setup. Copy the 9.1 kernel into /boot and run lilo. If you
>>get no errors, then it should work. Make sure that your lilo entry
>>contains the full name of the kernel file, not the shortened link name.
>

> I copied the file '/mnt/hda7/boot/kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk' into the
> directory '/boot':
>
>       # cp /mnt/hda7/boot/kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk /boot
>
> Mikkel wrote:
>

>>If you created the extra partitions by shrinking windows, you are also
>>going to have to edit /etc/fstab and posible /etc/lilo.conf in the 9.1
>>partition because the partition numbers changed when you added the new
>>partitions.
>

> In the file '/mnt/hda7/etc/fstab' I changed the line
>
>       /dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
>
>    into
>
>       /dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>
> , and in the file '/mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.conf' I changed the line
>
>       boot=/dev/hda
>
> into
>
>       boot=/dev/hda7
>
> , and every occurence of 'root=/dev/hda5' (there were three) into
> 'root=/dev/hda7'.
>

>>Also, another way to boot 9.1 is to boot in the rescue mode with the 9.1
>>CD, mount the 9.1 partition on /mnt/hda7, and run "chroot /mnt/hda7"
>>Edit /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf.  Change the root= section of
>>lilo.conf from "root=/dev/hda" to "root=/dev/hda7".  Run lilo.
>

> I logged out 10.1, inserted the 9.1 CD1, then pressed F1
> and then typed '# rescue' (enter).
> But how to mount the 9.1 partition on '/mnt/hda7'?
> And when I tried to run lilo, with '# lilo', the system replied:
> 'bash: lilo: command not found'.
>

>>Reboot to 10.1, and add to /etc/lilo.conf there this:
>>
>>other=/dev/hda7
>>       label="MDK-9.1"
>

> I did so.
>

>>Then run lilo.  The next time you boot, you will have an option to boot
>>9.1.  Picking this option will bring up the lilo menu you had before
>>installing 10.1.
>

> When I run lilo, with '# lilo', I got the following output:
>
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] rodolfo]# lilo
>       Added linux *
> [...]

You have a working 10.1 you could just add 9.1 to your 10.1 lilo.conf

Heres an aproach that has worked for me.

You can boot to your 10.1 and mount the 9.1 side.

[root]# mkdir /mnt/mdk9.1
[root]# mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/mdk9.1

Now cd to /mnt/mdk9.1 and take a look make sure it is the /
directory of your 9.1 and you can see /boot. If not then you need to
umount it and find the right /dev/hda? and mount it to /mnt/mdk9.1

Then you'll need to create an fstab entry for it.

[root]# vi /etc/fstab

Or your favorite editor, and create a line like this

/dev/hda7 /mnt/mdk9.1 ext3 defaults 1 2

Save the file, then create a lilo entry.

[root]# vi lilo.conf

The entry would be similar to below.

image=/mnt/mdk9.1/boot/vmlinuz
        label="mdk9.1"
        root=/dev/hda7
        initrd=/mnt/mdk9.1/boot/initrd.img
        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=no"
        vga=788
        read-only

and save the file then you can run lilo to test it

[root]# lilo -v -t

if no errors then you can write lilo

[root]# lilo

Then when you reboot you should have option to boot to your 9.1

Mike