A Hundred Thousand Thanks, Rick!

Although it hasn't helped me fix the problem (yet),
I feel that the info you provided is a certain
lead.

Interestingly, though I am still getting the
same error report when I run Kate and for that
matter when I start KDE, I get the same results
that you sent me when I execute the same command.

I'll keep fiddling with it.. :)

Thanks for your help,
Ken

RickSisler wrote:
Kenneth ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

I decided to submit this query again.  I think
that if someone can tell me what there setting
is for this mime type, I can re-enter it into
my settings.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Kenneth wrote:

Recently, when I run several programs, most notably
Kate and Kmess, I receive an error message -
"can't find mime type: application/octet-stream".

I have no idea how I might have deleted such
a file or association setting. How do I
restablish this mime type?

Check here Kenneth:

$> cat /etc/mime.types |grep -i octet-stream
application/octet-stream        bin dms lha lzh exe class

HTH

--
Kenneth Rhodes
100% MicroSoft Free