On Friday 21 January 2005 10:02 pm, JR wrote:
> My landlady gave me her laptop for the weekend to setup for her. It's 2.8
> Ghz but runs slower than my 800Mhz machine - I'm assuming it's all the
> virus scanners, adware removal daemons and so on.
>
> I'm thinking of installing mdk10.1 on it and getting everything working,
> but she knows nothing about computers at all and I dont have time to teach
> her - so my questions really are
>
> 1) On windows, wireless networks in the vicinity are auto-detected so you
> can connect to them. Can this be done easily under linux? She will be quite
> mobile.

Depends on the wireless nic, but my cisco card is pretty good about connecting
to open networks.  I was at my brothers house a few weeks ago, and instead of
wiring up through his cable modem, I just used his neighbors DSL line ;)

> 2) Is it fair to leave a linux AND computer newbie alone with linux in the
> world of windows when you dont have time to explain how to use what you've
> set up? I dont mean to insult the woman but she literally knows nothing bar
> how to use the mouse and type in a word processor.

No, I don't think it is fair.  It maybe okay if a person is open to change,
but my experience with people like this is that they are not able to deal
with the change.  They simply want everything to be the same.  IMO, there is
a greater than 90% chance that she will be mad.

> 3) Do I really want to spend my first free weekend in ages installing linux
> again!

I wouldn't :)
--
/g