On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 22:12, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Friday 21 January 2005 10:02 pm, JR wrote:
> > My landlady gave me her laptop for the weekend to setup for her. It's 2.8
> > Ghz but runs slower than my 800Mhz machine - I'm assuming it's all the
> > virus scanners, adware removal daemons and so on.
> >
> > I'm thinking of installing mdk10.1 on it and getting everything working,
> > but she knows nothing about computers at all and I dont have time to teach
> > her - so my questions really are
> >
> > 1) On windows, wireless networks in the vicinity are auto-detected so you
> > can connect to them. Can this be done easily under linux? She will be quite
> > mobile.
>
> Depends on the wireless nic, but my cisco card is pretty good about
> connecting
> to open networks.  I was at my brothers house a few weeks ago, and instead of
> wiring up through his cable modem, I just used his neighbors DSL line ;)
> >
> > 2) Is it fair to leave a linux AND computer newbie alone with linux in the
> > world of windows when you dont have time to explain how to use what you've
> > set up? I dont mean to insult the woman but she literally knows nothing bar
> > how to use the mouse and type in a word processor.
>
> No, I don't think it is fair.  It maybe okay if a person is open to change,
> but my experience with people like this is that they are not able to deal
> with the change.  They simply want everything to be the same.  IMO, there is
> a greater than 90% chance that she will be mad.

I was intrigued by your 'open to change' comment - most criticisms I've
heard is that people are used to Windows & want to stick with that -
here there is no change involved.

Might be worthwhile booting in with (e.g.) Knoppix or Mandrake Move to
establish whther there would be any hardware incompatabilities with
wireless cards, etc.