There should be no problem. The lady in question is a "computer newbie". She will most likely want to use email and word-processing initially, so there should be absolutely no issue, since all such programs are standard on Mandrake at no extra charge.

Most importantly, she will not have to bother with the time-wasting and expensive activities which surround Windows in its capacity of virus magnet. How any newbie copes with the whole vicious circle of infection, re-installation, protection, updates, etc., defeats me.

I have installed Mandrake on several senior citizens' computers and generally a bit of help is required every now and then, but it is normally sorted out over the phone, or for a few minutes, accompanied by a cup of tea and a chat.

There is also no problem getting Mandrake to see wireless networks. We don't have such luxuries where I live, but when I was in Europe on holiday, I had no trouble connecting to the hotels' access points with Mandrake 10.1beta2 (at the time, August last year). I was using an Orinoco PCMCIA card. Unfortunately the ADSL infrastructure does not exist yet in our beautiful seaside village. I believe it is due in 2006.

cheers
Duncan
(from the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal)
August last year). I was using an
Orinoco PCMCIA card. Unfortunately the ADSL infrastructure does not
exist yet in our beautiful seaside village. I believe it is due in
2006. <br>
cheers <br>
Duncan<br>
(from the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal)<br>