Mike Adolf wrote:
On Thursday 10 February 2005 07:33 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike Adolf wrote:

On Thursday 10 February 2005 05:15 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

It could be that the device for the ZIP drive is being created as
something other then a /dev/hdx...

Mikkel

Output of ide-devfs.sh

WITHOUT disk in drive
ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/part ide/hd/c-1b1tu0p discs/disc-1/part

WITH disk in drive
ide/host-1/bus1/target/lun0/part ide/hd/c-1b1tu0p discs/disc-1/part

no difference!

My machine has primary and secondary IDE ribbons with two devices on
each. Ribbon1: Lite On DVD writer and Zip 100
Ribbon2: Floppy and second hard drive.

Mike

I have a fealing that the IDE ZIP drive is being treated as an IDE floppy. I think the way to find out is to run:

ls -l /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/

This should be the ZIP drive is I have figured it right. I don't have
anything as the slave on the second controller, but I have a DVD as
master, and this is what I get...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] scripts]$ ls -l /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 Feb 10 09:13 cd -> ../../../../../hdc

Another thing that may be usefull is to look at the /sys/bus/ide/drivers
dirctory, and see what directories are there. Between this info, and the
info from the ls command, we should be able to use udevinfo to get
everything we need to write a rule for how we want to handle the ZIP drive.

Mikkel

There is no target1 in bus1 only a target0. If I run the ls -l ... with target0, I get exactly what you do. By the way, all other IDE devices work.

Mike

I was just doing some re-reading of your message. Your ZIP device should not be /dev/hdd. You say it is the slave on the first IDE channel?

"Ribbon1: Lite On DVD writer and Zip 100"

This would be /dev/hdb, not /dev/hdd. So this would be something like "/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0". I am still figuring out the naming conventions - I only have 1 device/cable on this machine, so I am guessing at the second device. In any case, you may want to check /var/log/dmesg to see wnat Linux is calling the device. It should list everything detected on the IDE bus, even if it doesn't know how to handle it. The names are directly from the device. Also, what does
"ls /dev/hd*" show? Do you have a /dev/hdb? I wish I had an IDE ZIP drive here so I could check on it myself.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!