h k ball wrote:
... Hi Kaj, Anne, Mikkel, Snap, et al ...

... I'm the newbie that showed up for the first time about 3 weeks ago, was overwhelmed with your responsiveness, but was way over my head, and felt guilty ... have a confession to make ...

... back in 1999 I bought Mandrake 6.0 ($35), tried putting it on the same machine with my Win2000, WinNT, etc, failed, gave up, put it on the shelf, forgot about it ...then, what with my wonderful experience with Firefox vs IE, etc etc, saw open sourcing in a whole new light, decided to try again, found your newbie list, and, trying harder this time, got it running in the command mode, and you all tought me a whole lot about moving around in that environment, really valuable stuff ...

... but I was flying under false colors ... you are all 10.1 folks, with 10.1 problems and 10.1 solutions ... so I shut up, quit wasting your time, got on Ebay, bought 10.1 for $6.00 (thought, "this is a dumb move") ... 3-4 days later a small envelop arrived with 4 disks, nothing else ... enlarged my Ext2, Swap partitions,etc ... total disaster, on two different machines bombed out immediately on install (thought "you got what you paid for) ...

... had been hearing alot about VMware, how you don't need to partition, etc, lo and behold, VMware has a 5.0 in Beta testing until Apr 29 !!! ... (I'm really really cheap) ...

... to make a 4 day story short, I have 10.1 running with a genaric VM video driver (nVidia card in my machine) at 1024x768, KDE up and running, have installed my beloved Firefox, things are fantastic !!! ... so now maybe I can legitimately ask you guys some questions:

(1) ... if I'm going to migrate to Linux from Windows I need to transfer alot of files, there's got to be a better way from what I'm doing, which is sending stuff to my webpage, then accessing/downloading them through Firefox ... any more direct way (haven't figured out how to communicate on my office LAN yet) ... ???

(2) ... operations and webpage downloads are verrrry sloooow with one exception, downloaded Firefox (8.2 meg) in 30 seconds (DSL) ... I suspect its the VMware's fault, but any tricks to speed things up ???

... again, I'm very appreciative and humbled  ...

HK

I wish you would have told us you were running 6.0 - we could have pointed you to where you could download the CD images for 10.1 for free, or purchesed them fairly cheap. (You can download the first 3 CD's from the Internet.)

Now, as far as transfering files between Windows and Linux, it depends on how you are running Linux. If you are running it in a VMware window, then you may want to create a share on the windows machine, and use smb4k to map the share on Linux. You can alsu use the mount command from the command line interface, but smb4k is probably going to work better for you at this point.

If you are dual booting Windows and Linux on a machine, you can mount the windows partition directly in Linux. In fact, the installer usualy will set this up for you. Diskdrake will also do it for you. If you are using the NT file system, then it will be mounted read only - you can transfere files to Linux, but there are some problems writing to NT file systems. (Has this changed?) There are no problems reading/writing FAT file systems.

Depending on the nVidia card you have, 10.1 may work with it out of the box, or you may have to install extra drivers. There have been a lot of messages about this. I don't have personal experence with the cards that require this.

As far as your install problems directly to the hardware, instead of installing in VMware, we should be able to work around them. The bit thing is to describe the hardware, and be willing to try a couple of options during install. Most people don't need to do this, but some hardware requires more effort then others... I usualy have less trouble installing Linux then I do Windows, unless I have one of the restore CDs for the machine that basicly restores a working image to the hard drive.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!