Russ Kepler wrote:

I don't think there's a 'proper' way to learn MS-DOS. My first conputer was an IBM 360/65 running a timeshare simulator called RAX, heck, the first programming test I ever took was to see if I could hold a 1401 punchboard at arms length, so I'm a proper dinosaur.

My first programming job was on a Wang 2200 running WANGBASIC 2. (cringe) It had 22KB of RAM per user, and a 20MB removable Winchester which was the size of a rubbish bin lid. The drive mechanism was the size of an industrial washing machine.

Fortunately the company wanted to use the "new" technology, so they had a 2200 emulator running on top of Xenix on a Wang APC (non-IBM compatible 286) as a platform for their package. This was my escape route into the UNIX world.

(Now I think we have deviated completely from "newbie" to "dinosaur" - perhaps we should start a new saurian mailing list.)

cheers
Duncan