On Tuesday 01 March 2005 07:21 pm, Julie Sloan wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 March 2005 05:01 pm, Russ Kepler wrote:
> > As long as you don't invoke the dreaded emacs you're all right with me.
> > (There's something wrong with an editor that hauls around an eliza in
> > every instance).
>
> Ok.  Would you please repeat that, more slowly this time, and in newbie
> English?  Thanks.

Emacs is a honkin' big program that initially was intended to be an editor.
The vi crowd always thought that the name stood for "Eighty Megabytes And
Constantly Swapping".  I was making fun of the propensity of the emacs crowd
to cram about everything they can into emacs.  It's got a lisp environment,
and in there it has a program that simulates a non-directive psychologist.
The latter program's name is eliza, some folks know it as doctor.  All it
really does is a simple word analysis of your statements and regurgitates it
back at you (or the generic response "Hmmmm" if it can't figure out what to
say).