[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Rodolfo,
 You should realy find the development package for the Xaw3d library.
To compile the package yourself, you will need to install a LOT more
source. Basicly, you need the X source. You also need more help then I
can give you to do it that way. While it would be a good learning
experence, it probably isn't one you are ready for yet. (I am not sure I
am ready for it, and I have a fair amount of experence building from
source.)

O.k., Mikkel, you convinced me (however I don't dislike learning to compile packages from source, in fact in future I'm thinking of getting into Linux From Scratch). From http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/10.1/i586/media/main/libXaw3d7-devel-1.5-13mdk.i586.html I downloaded libXaw3d7-devel-1.5-13mdk.i586.rpm, copied into ~/tmp and there did: # rpm -i libXaw3d7-devel-1.5-13mdk.i586.rpm . Now, when I run `$ ./configure' from Emacs CVS source dir, there are all `yes':

  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   yes

. Your help was important as usual. Thanks.
Rodolfo

P.S.: What do you think about Linux from Scratch?

I am glad I could help. It is how I "give something back"...

While I think it is a good thing to learn to compile packages yourself, and build your own RPMs, I also think it is a good idea to start with smaller packages, and work your way up. Trying to learn too many different things at once can be a real headache.

When installing RPMs, it does not matter where the file is when you run install. The directories rpm uses for temp files, and such are determined by the system configuration of rpm. (The exception to this is source RPMs installed by the user - the user's configuration file overrides the system settings.) So you could have installed from the download directory.

Linux from Scratch looks like fun. I wish I had the time to play with it. But right now, most of my spare time is devoted to learning the ins and outs of Mandrake. I have a lot of things to learn yet, especially with the changes in 10.1 and mastering udev. But I think my next project will be trying to solve how I locked up the USB subsystem on this box. If I run lsusb, it just locks up right now... :-(

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!