On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> To append the directly above:
> I copied the bootup screen messages and the relative part
> is as follows.
> ------------------------------------
> Checking filesystems
> fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb1
> (null):
> The super block could not be read or does not descirbe a correct ext2
> file system ( and not swap or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Try booting with a "rescue" disk and then "chroot
/dev/hdxx" (drive & partition where / is located.)
Then, mkswap /dev/hdb1. It *should* re-format the swap
space, I think. Before you do this, though, you should wait
awhile to see if someone (Axalon???) can provide a better
suggestion. It *sounds* as if your swap space is FUBARED!
        John