-----Original Message-----
From: John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, November 22, 1999 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help

>On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, you wrote:
>> To append the directly above:
>> I copied the bootup screen messages and the relative part
>> is as follows.
>> ------------------------------------
>> Checking filesystems
>> fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb1
>> (null):
>> The super block could not be read or does not descirbe a correct ext2
>> file system ( and not swap or something else), then the superblock
>> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
>>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>>
>Try booting with a "rescue" disk and then "chroot
>/dev/hdxx" (drive & partition where / is located.)
>Then, mkswap /dev/hdb1. It *should* re-format the swap
>space, I think. Before you do this, though, you should wait
>awhile to see if someone (Axalon???) can provide a better
>suggestion. It *sounds* as if your swap space is FUBARED!
> John

Yeah but fubared on the hdb drive which is booting ok, why
does the hdc drive care? Apparently according to the bootup
messages when booting hdc from floppy or lilo all partitions
check clean including hdc3 which is / but still it fails right after
that. But still I agree it seemed to get hung up on the hdb1
swap partition. So........I did this

booted from hdc boot disk
ran mkswap on hdb1
ran mkswap on hdc2
no change in boot problems
In partition magic moved hdb1 swap to end of drive
no change in boot problems
moved hdb1 swap back to front of drive but left as free space
booted with hdc floppy and ran fdisk /dev/hdb
created and formated the freespace as swap just in case it
wasn't done correctly before.
No change in boot problems, completely back to square one :-(

Here is my lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-7mdk
 label=linuxb
 root=/dev/hdb2
 read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-7mdk
 label=linux
 root=/dev/hdc3
 read-only

other=/dev/hda1
 label=dos
 table=/dev/hda

I'm wondering if there might not be a corrupt file somewhere on hdc
that is affecting the way it initializes?
Everything else 'seems' OK  :-)

Larry