On Tuesday 29 Mar 2005 11:14, Mr. Geek wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

> >> Not sure what to expect as have only used it in Windows where a
> >> dialogue window comes up with options (once it is plugged in with card
> >> in), and the green light on the card reader flashes when the photos
> >> are being uploaded.
> >>
> >> I went into gwenview to see if I could see anything - couldn't, but my
> >> process could be incorrect.  Don't know if this helps or not
> >>
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]$ cat sysconfig/hotplug
> >> # This file contains defaults for hotplug
> >> #
> >> # HOTPLUG_RC_$SUBSYSTEM controls whether subsystem is started by
> >> # hotplug rc script ("cold plugging")
> >> #
> >> # SUBSYSTEM currently is usb, input, ieee1394, scsi.
> >>
> >> HOTPLUG_RC_usb=yes
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]$
> >>
> >> I may just need to learn to mount it?
> >>
> >> Rosemary
> >
> > Well, if you are running KDE, you should get a new desktop icon when you
> > plug it in. From the CLI, there should be ether /mnt/removable or
> > /mnt/camera with the device already mounted on it. If not, you could try:
> >
> > mkdir /mnt/camera
> > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
> >
> > If that does not work, then run "usbview" and see if it is being
> > detected...
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but make sure the camera
> is in 'Play' mode as well. That was my problem and as soon as I flipped
> the 'Play' switch, FLPhoto plopped an icon on the desktop and Digikam
> and GwenView were happy little campers.
>
> Sometimes it's the simple things that make all the difference.
>
> Good Luck Rosemary!
>
> HTH's.

If only ...  I'd been to a page of johnwyles and he gave this suggestion too.
Unfortunately no such luck for me.  Now trying with a card reader, but as you
might have seen my system is a mess!  Waiting for 10.2 to be available next
month and that a new install will sort some things out for me.

Thanks
Rosemary