On Tuesday 29 Mar 2005 17:50, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mr. Geek wrote:
> > Having something like a newsletter would also allow people to compile
> > their own libraries on a variety of technical topics, which can be
> > reviewed offline at their leisure, while cutting back on some of the
> > redundant posts to the list.
> >
> > Following along this line of thought, would it be possible to post the
> > newsletters on the Twiki site for future reference, with a possibility
> > of  any user requesting those article by email at a later date?
>
> In theory, it sounds good. In practice, I suspect that the people that
> need it most would not read it. It would get treated like the welcome
> message - filed and forgotten.

Having been away, I've only just seen this.  Just a few points I'd like to
make:

1) The TWiki was started for just this reason - so many FAQs.
2) It wasn't being read by many newbies, so some of us started adding a link
from our sigs.
3) It wasn't being read by many newbies, so the 'Welcome' letter was added.
4) When we re-direct people to the TWiki they say that they have never heard
of it, and would have like to have known about it earlier.

I accept the criticism that getting around is not always easy, but we get few
constructive comments to make it easier.  There is an Index, and there is a
search, which, though primitive, always seems to help me find something that
isn't in the obvious place.  Improvements are always welcome, but we need
suggestions to help us.

As for the drop in new posters to the newbie list, it seems to have been
roughly in proportion to the increase in complete newbies posting to the
expert list.

Not wanting to put a damper on anyone's ideas :-)

Anne
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels