briefly and in depth? no.

Yes, if you use bootmagic you still need lilo.  But don't install it on
the boot record
of the *disk*.  Install it in the Linux parition.  If you use it like
this, think of it
more like io.sys and msdos.sys that DOS uses to boot.  They are written
a specific place on a disk so they can start the boot process for the
operating
system.  To make a bootable disk for DOS, you use the command sys a: or
sys c: to write the system files to the diskette or hard disk, so the
operating
system can boot.  Don't think of lilo in this use as another boot magic
program.  You're only going to use it to get linux going, so it's like
sys x: for
DOS.

I used partition magic to resize old partitions and make two paritions
for Linux first.
You need a linux parition and a swap parition (both used only by linux).

You can tell it that the new paritions are for Linux and a linux swap
parition
if you are using a recent version of parition magic like 5.x.

Install boot magic in the boot disk partition, and configure it for
DOS/Win and
Linux (even tho it's not installed yet).  You can do this from windows
if you have
the full version of parition magic.

Install Linux to your new partition.  When you get to the lilo part,
don't install
to the master boot record of the disk.  Install to the Linux parition.
You'll get a
menu for operating systems to boot with lilo in this part, probably
win95/98
and linux.  You don't need the win95/98 one, since you get to win95/98
from
boot magic. But you can just leave them as long as the linux parition
has
the * next to it as the default boot partition.  If you can't boot once
you have
linux installed, the problem might be that you have to enable/disable
LBA (linear?) in lilo. You'll get a screen with this option when
installing lilo.  I
f you can't boot, try this option the other way.  I have to have it
enabled.

If you need to reinstall lilo because you do a kernel upgrade someday,
you have to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file to point to the correct
files/names.
(if you have scsi, you also have to run mkinitrd)  For example, if you
are installing from an older Mandrake 6.1 cd, there is a kernel upgrade
that you can download and install.  If you use the update icon in kde,
it
should install the new kernel for you.  It gives you a little prompt
that
you have to edit lilo.conf manually.

It's easy to do.  Look at the /etc/lilo.conf file for the programs that
it points
to, such as vmlinuz-2.2.13-7mdk.  If you look in your /boot directory,
you
should see vmlinuz-2.2.13-7mdk and vmlinuz-2.2.13-22mdk.
The -22 version is the new one.  Just change the name in /etc/lilo.conf
and save it. Then just type lilo at the command prompt (running as
root).
It should look like it didn't *do* anything.  You just get a prompt
back.
That's actually good, since you didn't get an error.  It just takes a
second to write it's little file out.  In the /etc/lilo.conf file, it
says where
lilo should install itself.  So, once lilo is installed correctly, it
shouldn't
overwrite boot magic.  The /etc/lilo.conf file is for writing new lilo
to your
disk.  It's not like a config.sys in DOS/Windows that is read when the
system is booting.  You must run the lilo (config) program for it to
read your setup (/etc/lilo.conf) and put lilo (boot) on the disk to
boot.

You should make a linux boot disk *and* a rescue disk.  The version of
Mandrake cd I have doesn't have the rescue.img file on it.  Look in the
dosimages directory on the cd.  If you have one, make the rescue disk.
If you don't, download it in your windows system and make the disk.
I don't know if the rescue.img file is on the Mandrake ftp site or not.
I used a RedHat one from 6.0 and it works.

There are lots of options for lilo.  Usually you don't need to use them
or
worry about them.  There are lilo HOWTOs you can get to from almost
any of the linux sites on the web.

This is a copy of my lilo.conf file.  It's little and not as horrible as
it
all sounds.
boot=/dev/hda2  # (where to write to)
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
linear  # (LBA?)
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-22mdk
 label=linux
 root=/dev/hda2  # (parition to boot)
 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.13-22mdk.img  # (commented out if no scsi)
 read-only