Anthony Huereca wrote:

> You can download the file here:
>
>http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/libstdc++-2.95.2-4mdk.i586.html
> and/or this:
>
>http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/libstdc++-devel-2.95.2-4mdk.i586.html
> but it still may not work. I had the same problem and I had to end up
> reinstalling Linux. I couldn't install the part of gcc that compiled C++ files,
> which iostream.h is apart of. I don't see why all the libaries and compilers
> aren't installed automatically in Mandrake, it's a huge hassle to have to go
> find them whenver you're missing one. And since Linux requires a lot of it's
> programs to be compiled by the user, it would just make sense to automatically
> include them all when someone installs.

Amen, brother.  I'm pretty technically literate and have been using and
repairing PCs for years.  I'm a systems tech for a gov't agency and work
on some pretty heavy stuff.  Why should I practically have to learn C
just to install a program?  This is the main reason I still can't
recommend even Mandrake for most average users.  It's ALMOST there.  But
installing programs is the biggest pain in the tail in Linux.  RPMs are
a big help - but even they often need work.  How is Aunt Sue spozed to
figger out the dependency problems for example?

I'll try installing libstdc++ from above - downloading it now - but I
have the -3 version already installed and KXICQ still won't make.  By
the time I get it figured out (or just give up, I've got other stuff to
do) probably the RPM will be released anyway.  It's pretty much a
flawless install for me, usually.

Thanks.

dave williamson